Patient safety and product effectiveness remains a primary focus for medical device manufacturers; however there are emerging opportunities for companies to develop packaging solutions that are safe and effective for patients and health care practitioners while having a minimal impact on the environment. According to a presentation developed by Perfecseal, almost all medical device packaging in the United States is currently considered clinical waste and is prohibited from entering the recycling stream. In order to remain at the forefront of the competitive device industry, it is essential for packaging teams to take a proactive approach and incorporate sustainable packaging consideration into early product development processes.
- Overview of industry sustainability environment
- Defining sustainability and regulations specific to packaging and waste
- Key considerations in package material design
- Managing risks through simulation models and testing
- Challenges in maintaining sterility while maintaining ease of use
Principle Packaging Engineer (NPD PKG)